Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/skpsoft/public_html/news/wp-content/plugins/wpcdplugin/page_content.php on line 184
The choice as a parent apparently has been made before your little baby was born. But raising a baby is not easy, it requires a lot of preparation to help him/her grow happy and healthy. Hence, it is really essential for you to read this article which can walk you through a common infant skin condition – cradle cap.
What is Cradle Cap?
Cradle cap, also called infantile seborrheic dermatitis, is a patch of dry yellow flakes that appear on your baby’s scalp. Normally, these flaky scales do not affect your child’s health, they will go away on its own after a few weeks or more than a month. However, they could be a little annoyed and itchy, you need to make sure your child does not scratch the area. Because once cracked, it bleeds and becomes an ideal position for bacteria to attack the baby skin. Cradle cap is mainly found in newborns and infants, so during that time, you should take good care of him/her.
What Causes Cradle Cap?
So far, medical researchers have not known exactly why cradle cap occurs, they only suppose that having the excessive production of oil is a cause of the cradle cap. In addition, below are some other reasons for the presence of cradle cap that your baby might have:
- Hormone changes
- Hormones transmitted from the mother to her child
- The infection of fungus (because of taking some antibiotics when you are pregnant)
- Immature immune system of your baby
It is also noted that cradle cap is not contagious, but it can develop to other parts of your baby’s body including ears, back, neck, eyebrows and some skin creases.
What are the Symptoms of Cradle Cap?
The following is several common symptoms of cradle cap:
- Rough yellow skin flakes
- Irritated areas
Home Remedies for Cradle Cap
- Coconut Oil
One of the safest home remedies for cradle cap is coconut oil that is widely used by countless generations for years. Thanks to its moisturizing effect, this oil can help you wash away the excessive sebum, dirt as well as relieve the inflammatory condition. Additionally, coconut oil works well with oily hair, after a few days using it you will have a shiny hair. On the other hand, coconut oil is able to promote the protective barrier functions on scalp skin in humans.
- Prepare some coconut oil and dab the oil on your head gently
- Use a fine-tooth comb to eliminate the flaky scales
- After that, clean it off with warm water
- Remember to apply this treatment on a daily basis to get rid of cradle cap.
- Shea Butter
Shea butter has popularly been used in many beauty products and provides natural sources of vitamin C. As a result, shea butter can help you get rid of cradle cap along with its annoying symptoms. With stearic and oleic acid existing shea butter, it has an ability to moisturize and nourish the skin scalp. Furthermore, shea butter is totally good for your baby’s skin because it does not cause any harmful effect.
- Get small amount of shea butter and dab it on the suffered areas
- Allow it to stand for 15 – 20 minutes
- Erase the skin flakes with a fine tooth comb
- Then use warm water to clean it off. You also can apply hair care product for better result.
- Keep doing this tip regularly until the cradle cap is disappeared.
- Baking Soda
Baking soda is a safe and simple home remedy for cradle cap that you should try it right at your home. Indeed, it contains an adequate amount of alkaline which has the positive effect on maintaining pH level of your baby’s scalp. Plus, it is easy to find baking soda at the local store and store it in your kitchen.
- Add one tablespoon of baking soda to a bowl of lukewarm water
- Stir it up to create paste
- Deal with cradle cap by using this paste and a comb
- Remember to follow the solution every day as need.
- Tea Tree Oil
If you are looking for a useful home remedy for cradle cap, tea tree oil might be your best choice. Tea tree oil acts as an effective cleaning agent which helps remove the flaky scales easily. But you need to note that tea tree oil is quite dense and powerful, so it could not be applied directly to the thin skin of your child.
- Mix 1 part of tea tree oil with 10 parts of water or almond oil to lower its strong effect
- Rub the liquid on the baby’s head slowly
- After 15 – 20 minutes, comb his/her to remove the cradle cap.
- Repeat the remedy frequently until there is a good improvement.
- Breast Milk
Breast milk includes all the essential nutrients and substances that your baby needs to grow properly as well as to reduce the risk of many ailments. However, you will be surprised to know that breast milk is also an amazing solution to cradle cap.
- Prepare some pumped breast milk
- Apply it on your baby’s scalp about 15 minutes
- Then use fresh water to wash it off
- Repeat this tip twice per day for several weeks to get rid of cradle cap thoroughly.
- Olive Oil
One of the most wonderful home remedies for cradle cap is olive oil, do you know that? If you notice, olive oil comes from nature and helps your child deal with cradle cap without causing any harmful effect. On one hand, olive oil is considered a natural moisturizer which can ease the irritated feeling and eliminate skin flakes productively. On the other hand, with the presence of active compounds in this essential oil, it has good impact on the healing process. After following this remedy, the baby’s scalp will look softer and turn back initial skin soon.
- Dab some olive oil on the affected areas of your baby’s scalp
- Wait for 15 – 20 minutes and then comb his/her hair to remove the dry patch
- Use fresh water to clear it off
- Finally, pat it dry with a soft and clean towel
- Remember to apply the method daily as needed